Bharadvaja’s Twist, more commonly referred to in Sanskrit as Bharadvajasana is an engaging twist designed to enhance posture and body awareness.
Bharadvaja = one of seven legendary seers, credited with composing the hymns collected in the Vedas
Bharadvajasana represents the embodiment of yoga’s long-standing tradition and is a proof point that the body and mind can collaborate in perfect harmony. Famous for its elegant movement that twists, Bharadvajasana does not simply bring the body into a state of fluidity but also offers numerous health benefits.
Join us to unravel its complexities to attain holistic health!
Benefits of Bharadvajasana:
The Benefits of Bharadvajasana yoga pose, commonly referred to as Bharadvajasana or “Bharadvaja’s Twist,” boasts many health-promoting properties. These benefits can include relief of backache and lower back tension as well as weight management benefits; among them are improved balance, more energy balance, reduced fatigue levels, better blood pressure regulation and decreased stress.
- Spinal Health: Increase flexibility and suppleness of the spine.
- Digestive Harmony: Stimulate abdominal organs to promote digestion and detoxification processes.
- Hip and Shoulder Mobility: Improves flexibility in hips and shoulders.
- Relieves Lower Back Tension: Alleviates discomfort and tension in the lower back.
- Stress Reduction: Promotes relaxation and mental clarity.
- Internal Massage: Massages internal organs, supporting overall organ health.
Post Type: Twist
Before exploring its many benefits, let us establish some fundamental elements of Bharadvajasana:
- Starting Position: Seated on the mat with legs extended.
- Twisting Motion: Begins at the base of the spine.
- Arm Placement: Place one hand on an opposite knee while placing another behind for support.
- Breath Awareness: Breathing awareness should coincide with each twist for optimal flow.
- Begin in an upright and comfortable seated position.
- Inhale deeply to raise your chest before exhaling to initiate the twist from its base of spine.
- Hold one arm over each knee while placing your other behind to lengthen your spine and twist for 30 to 60 seconds at a time before inhaling and returning to center before repeating on other side
- Beginner Tip:
When beginning yoga for beginners, be mindful to breathe correctly and begin slowly with gentle twists that gradually deepen as flexibility improves. Avoid forcing movement; gradually increase depth as flexibility develops.
- Explore The Pose:
Explore various arm placements to gauge their effect on the intensity of twist. Be present as your base provides grounding energy while reaching towards the sky with each inhale and exhale
- Teacher Tips:
Emphasize core engagement for stability. Help students maintain a grounded seat. Give verbal cues for proper alignment to prevent strain.
Experiment with variations for different levels of practitioners by including props or altering hand placement as needed.
Prepatory and Counter Poses:
Warm up with some gentle yoga postures before countering twisty positions such as Child’s Pose or an easy forward fold pose like Child’s Pose to soothe any muscle tightness that arises from twists in your spine.
Implement Bharadvaja's Twist in Practice:
Begin including this twist into your regular yoga practice with an aim towards consistency rather than intensity, noting how it enhances other poses while increasing overall wellbeing.